As Summer Approaches…
Make sure your A/C is ready so that you can beat the heat.
When the weather shows a warming trend and spring seems around the corner, you should do the following to improve your air conditioner in time for the coming summer:
- Open the vents under your house if it is peer and beam foundation.
- Check that you have visqueen down over the earth under the house.
- Wash the exterior condenser unit off with a hose, removing dirt and debris from the fin area.
- Using a mild solution of soap and water can help remove stuck on grime.
- Do not bend the fins with the water or any hard object.
- Change your system filter and at least once each month.
- Have a reputable A/C company inspect the unit and service it prior to the start of summer.
- Inspect the duct work or have it inspected by an A/C company.
Additionally, you may wish to check the attic insulation to ensure it is near 10 inches thick and provides a good cover throughout the attic. Unsealed doors and windows are more a problem for heat but should be checked periodically.
Allow the inspectors to replace any items that show wear or could malfunction when operated.
A/C servicing requires a 70-degree day for optimum results when checking the unit service for freon levels. These suggestions when applied should guarantee a normal unit surviving a harsh summer.